Friday 28 March 2014

March Book Haul.

Hi guys,
Today I thought I would do a book haul for you guys, as this month I went a bit mad on buying books, but I didn't pay for them myself my lovely fiancé bought them for me as a treat.
All the books were purchased online from The Works
There are 13 altogether and I am just waiting for a delivery of two others. A few of these books I have been after for awhile and some I sounded really good so I had to get them.

These are all my books that I have so far received and sorry the picture is a bit blurry I was just so excited. I am yet to receive Pandemonium and Requiem the last two books in the Delirium series. I am yet to purchase Delirium it's self, but when I saw the other two for just £2.99 each I had to get them as I want this series anyway.

The Grave Tattoo By Val McDermid. 543 pages. Published: 2007.  Well what can I say, I loved Killing The Shadows, which I will be reviewing very soon, so much when I saw this novel I had to go and buy it. I love how Val McDermid writes and I thought this book sounded just as exciting as Killing The Shadows. I think if I enjoy this book also I may have to purchase more if not all of Val McDermid's books. I do tend to think  the covers of her novels don't tie in with the book it's self. Blurb/Synopsis: A 200-YEAR-OLD SSERCRET IS NOW A MATTER OF LIFE AND DEATH. AND IT COULD BE WORTH A FORTUNE... It's summer in the Lake District and torrential rain has uncovered a bizarrely tattooed body on a hillside. Could it be linked to the centuries-old rumours that surround Fletcher Christian, mutinous First Mate on the ill-fated Bounty, a legendary massacre on the strange island of Pitcairn, and Christian's possible return to England? Jane Gresham wants to know. An expert on Wordsworth, she has a theory that the Lakeland poet, a childhood friends of Christian's, had harboured the fugitive and turned his tale into an epic poem - which has since stayed hidden. But as she follows each lead, death is hard on her heels. The 200-year-old mystery is putting lives at risk. And it isn't just the truth that is waiting to be discovered, but a bounty worth millions of pounds...
Room By Emma Donoghue. 401 pages. Published: 2010. Now this book is one I don't think I would of picked up myself in a store until, I watched videos on youtube of how good this book is and I have read so many great reviews on this book. Now this book was first published in 2010 and all of a sudden it has become very popular in the booktube world, the amount of love people are giving this book I don't know why it took 4 years to become so popular. I don't tend to follow tends as I feel just because someone likes/enjoys something doesn't mean I will, I tend to do/read things in my own time, but this book, as soon as I noticed the love this book was getting I was looking for it all over the internet to purchase it. I think with this cover is ties in with the storyline and I find the book simple but so captivating. Blurb/Synopsis: Jack is five. He lives in a single, locked room with his Ma. This blurb doesn't go into much detail like you would find on a normal book but in those few words it tells you a lot. Can't wait to read will be reading very soon.
Gold Digger By Frances Fyfield. 308 pages. Published: 2012. This book I haven't read or watched any reviews on but when I read the blurb online I loved the sound of it. I haven't heard of this author before so the author is new to me also so hopefully I have bought a very good read. Blurb/Synopsis: The warmth of him, the glorious warmth, was fading by the minute. In a huge old school house by the sea, full of precious paintings, Thomas Porteous is dying. His much younger wife Di holds him and mourns. She knows that soon, despite her being sole inheritor, Thomas's relatives will descend on the collection that was the passion of both their lives. And descend they do. The two needy daughters, who were poisoned against their father by their defecting mother, are now poison themselves. With the help of an unlikely collection of loners and eccentrics, Di sets a trap to hoist the family members on their own greed. And on the night they are lured to the house, she will be ready. Or will she?
First Among Sequels By Jasper Fforde. 395 pages. Published: 2008. This book I have heard a lot about and once again I so badly wanted to read it myself. I love the cover it is very colourful. This book is actually part of a series and I have heard so much about this book on it's own I thought I would give it a go. I'm not sure if I want to read the whole series as I haven't heard much about the other books themselves but I have heard a lot about this book, but me being me will probably read the rest of the series anyways. As it is part of a series I won't put the blurb/synopsis on here for you as some people may find it ruins the others in the series.

A Room Swept White By Sophie Hannah. 454 pages. Published: 2010. This book I haven't heard anything about this book or author, but I just thought it sounded very good. I don't think this is in a series, but even if it is when I looked online at her other books I didn't get excited as much as I did for this book. I'm unsure if the cover ties in with the storyline it's self, but I do think the cover is so pretty, in fact all of the covers for Sophie Hannah's books are very beautiful. Blurb/Synopsis: TV producer Fliss Benson receives an anonymous card at work: sixteen number arranged in four rows of four - numbers that mean nothing to her. On the same day, Fliss finds out she's going to be working on a documentary about miscarriages of justice involving cot-death mothers wrongly accused of murder. The documentary will focus on three women: Helen Yardley, Sarah Jaggard and Rachel Hines. All three are now free, and the child protection sea lot who did her best to send them to prison for life, Dr Juddith Duffy, is under investigation for misconduct. For reasons she shared with nobody, this is the last project Fliss wants to be working on. And then Helen Yardley is found dead at her home, and in her pocket is a card with sixteen numbers on it, arranged in four rows of four... I can not wait to read this book, hopefully will be reviewing it very shortly.
Mister X By John Lutz. 455 pages. Published: 2012. This book I haven't heard anything about, but I have heard of the author before. I love crime/thriller books and this is right up my street. I love the cover as it seems dark and mysterious with the edge of the bright X makes me wanted to know who mister X is. Blurb/Synopsis: Fear leaves a mark... He mutilates his victims. Cuts their throats. And then carves and x into their flesh. Five years ago he claimed the lives of six women and then the killing stopped. And no one knows why. Ex-homicide detective Frank Quinn remembers- which is why he's shocked to see one of the dead women in his office. In fact, she is the identical twin of the last victim, and she wants Quinn to find her sister's murderer. But when the cold case heats up, it attracts the media spotlight - and suddenly the killings start again. This book reminded me of my favourite film(s) Saw, he marks all his victims with a jigsaw piece cut from their flesh and if I am honest that is what made me want to buy and read this book.
The House at Sea's End By Elly Griffiths. 388 pages. Published: 2011. Once again I haven't heard anything about this book or author but I really liked the sound of it. This is Elly Griffiths's Third crime novel but I don't think they are in a series. I love the cover as it goes beautifully with the books title, yet it's quite hauntingly beautiful as well. It was the blurb that made me want to read this book so badly as it reminded me of the Bones series by Kathy Reichs and i have just started the series and so far I love them. Blurb/Synopsis: Ruth Shivers, not entirely from the cold. Who would bury bodies here, in this inaccessible spot? /the bodies are bound, their hands tied behind their backs. When bones are unearthed at the foot of a north Norfolk cliff, forensics expert Ruth Galloway and DCI Nelson are put on the case. The skeletons have lain there for decades, possible since the war, and for all that time a hideous crime has been concealed. When a body washes up on the beach, it becomes clear that someone wants the truth of the past to stay buried, and will go to any lengths to keep it that way. Can Ruth and Nelson uncover the truth in time to stop another victim?

Daddy's Gone A-Hunting By Mary Higgins Clark. 445 pages. Published: 2014. I have heard of this author before and actually have Two Little Girls In Blue by the same author I just haven't read it yet. Both of these books sound very interesting and if I read and enjoy both books I will purchase more from the same author. This book isn't in a series, but she has written many books. The cover is stands out with the dark background and then the white and orange writing. Also with the slightly blurry girl who is running on the cover makes me wonder what is she running from? Blurb/Synopsis: A dark family secret puts the lives of two sisters in grave danger. Hannah Connelly is plunged into a nightmare when she learns that Connelly Fine Antique Reproductions, the family business founded by her grandfather, has been levelled by huge explosion.  The ashes reveal a startling and grisly discovery. Could the explosion have been deliberately set? And what was Kate, Hannah's sister and highflyer in an accounting firm, doing in the building in the middle of the night? With Kate lying in a coma in hospital, it is now down to Hannah to discover what truly happened. But little does she know that someone will do anything they can to prevent Kate regaining consciousness. Will Hannah find out the truth before that person kills to save himself? This sounds like an, edge of your seat kind of story to me and i can not wait to read it.
Divergent By Veronica Roth. 487 pages. Published: 2011. This book is greatly loved worldwide and is out in film as it was so popular. Like the rest of series that everyone loved I was a bit late to go with the tend. I have heard great things about both the book and the film, but it wasn't until I read the reviews of the film I felt the urge to purchase and read these books myself, so when I saw the trilogy for only £9.99 I had to buy them. The reviews haven't spoilt the book for me as I only read ones with no Spoilers in. Blurb/Synopsis: Three flying birds...one for each member of the family I left behind. Sixteen-year-old Tris is forced to make a terrible choice. In a divided society where everyone must conform, Tris does not fit. So she ventures out alone, determined to discover where she truly belongs. Shocked by her brutal new life, Tris can trust no one. And yet she is drawn to a boy who seems to both threaten and protect her. The hardest choice lies ahead. Writing the blurb is the first time I have read it myself and straight away it remind me or Twilight, which I have reviewed here and The Hunger Games, which I have reviewed here. I look forward to reading the whole series.
Insurgent By Veronica Roth. 525 pages.Published: 2012. As of above I have heard great things about this whole series. I love how, as I bought it as a series set, all my cover go together and that they all stand out one way or another. I haven't read the blurb and to stop spoilers for people like myself I won't write it here also.
Allegiant By Veronica Roth. 526 pages. Published: 2013. The final in the "Divergent" series. I can not wait to read this series, and review it for you guys. To stop spoilers, again I won't write the blurb to this story here. If you have read this series feel free to comment below but No Spoilers!

Well I hope you enjoyed this book haul as much as I did writing it and as you can see I have a few books to read now and will be reviewing these books very soon.
See you soon.
Laura xxx




No comments:

Post a Comment